In this lesson, I will teach you how to pronounce schedule. We will also practise saying ‘schedule’ in repeat-after-me phrases. Learn how to pronounce this difficult but commonly used business English word.
British Verses American Pronunciation of ‘Schedule’
Students are often confused about the correct way to pronounce ‘schedule’ because the British and American pronunciations of the word sound very different. The British English pronunciation contains a ‘sh’ sound, whereas the American pronunciation contains a /sk/ consonant blend.
How to Pronounce Schedule in British English
In British English, the <sch> spelling in ‘schedule’ is pronounced with a ‘sh’ /ʃ/ sound.
British English → schedule (n) /ˈʃed.juːl/
Thinking of the word ‘shed’ helps us to remember the correct pronunciation of ‘schedule’ in British English.
Here’s a mnemonic to help you remember how to pronounce ‘schedule’ in British English:
You should pronounce the ‘sh’ in ‘schedule’Jade Joddle
I teach you how to pronounce schedule in the video below. Watch the entire lesson to learn the American pronunciation also.
How to Pronounce Schedule: Example Phrases
Now practise how to pronounce ‘schedule’ by reading aloud the example phrases. Pay close attention to your articulation and repeat-after-me as clearly as possible.
- Today’s meeting is scheduled for 4pm.
- A general election has been scheduled to take place on the 5th of May.
- The project to build the new shopping centre is running behind schedule.
- I have got such a busy schedule that I haven’t got time to talk about this right now.
- Would you like to schedule your next appointment?
- I’ve got to go; I’ve got a scheduled appointment starting in a minute.
Extend Your Learning
▶︎ Do the lesson Quiz on How to Pronounce ‘Schedule’ via EngVid.
▶︎ Get a clear and confident accent by joining my Clear Accent course ✔︎